Monday, November 21, 2011

Reality Check


Well, Thanksgiving is upon us and so is my birthday. I was born on Thanksgiving 33 years ago but because of the calendar year, my birthday only falls on the holiday every few years or so. This year it is the day before Thanksgiving and I guess I want to reflect upon the fact that I have MUCH to be grateful for. I am not where I thought I would be at my age and frankly neither is the world. LOL. That is okay though. Even with depression, fertility drugs (BLECK!!) a career that looks NOTHING like what most careers look like (HA!!) or even what I thought mine would look like- still, my life is pretty damn good. I have people I love well and they love me well too. I have an abundance of joy (when I am open to it). I have glowing health and as much security as one can have in this wacky world. I have had more amazing experiences in my 33 years than many will have in a lifetime. I have an amazing life. Period. And I am grateful. Even when I am not.
Someone in our community lost her eldest son today. He was murdered. My heart just breaks to think of the road our friend has ahead of her. Please keep her diligently in your thoughts and prayers. No mama should ever have to walk the road she is on. Ever.
On the evening of my 15th birthday my best friend's big brother was killed in a car accident. I will never forget that night either.
Both of these losses occurred right before the holidays. This seems to me the cruelest and most grueling time to have to have to endure such trauma. These events have put all "things' into perspective for me in a profound and devastating way. Please count your blessings today. Count your loved ones. Hold them close. This is all we ever have and it is all that will ever matter. ~TBM

1 comment: